Friday, July 30, 2010

Is it worth the extra couple of hundred dollars to purchase a convection oven?

I need a new oven, and I was wondering if it really saves alot of time and energy? Thanks!Is it worth the extra couple of hundred dollars to purchase a convection oven?
You know...I have absolutely no idea. I only answered your question because well.... I just thought you seemed like a kindred spirit. Go figure!Is it worth the extra couple of hundred dollars to purchase a convection oven?
It does, but unless it has a built-in recipe converter, ya gotta do some math.
When I purchased my conventional oven 2 years ago it could also be used as a convection oven and boy has it saved me a ton of time cooking meals for my family when I running late from work. To be honest, I don't use it all of the time and I don't know if it saves energy but it helps me finsh the oven meal faster....it'll speed up the last 30 minutes to 15. The oven should come with instructions on how long to cook foods. If you like cooking meals in half the time and want to do it often.....it's a good choice.
I have had our convection double ovens for a year and I find that there is some benefit. First of all, the convection fans circulate the air so you do get a better quality product overall. Cookies and baked goods brown evenly and roasts are the same color all over. There are no ';hot spots.'; Whether they save time or energy is debatable. I don't notice a significant time difference, unless I'm doing something that takes more than an hour, such as a turkey. Then, there's maybe a 10-15% decrease in the amount of time the oven is on. I can't see how they would save energy, since it seems any small decrease in baking time is cancelled out by the extra energy it takes to run the fan, which goes the whole time the oven is on.





Also, there is some noise when you are baking. You can definitely hear the fan. I know my husband does not like that part!





Personally, I don't think it's worth it unless you are really into baking. For the average person cooking dinner for their family, it is not worth spending the extra. I only did it because I wanted double ovens and they're so darn fancy that they all come with it whether you want it or not.
The fan will dry out your food.
if you bake a lot it is worth it

No comments:

Post a Comment